SOS calls can be generated in 3 ways,
From the exec LCD Screen SOS Button
From the exec physical SOS button on the exec unit
From the SOS button on the Iridium GO exec app on a phone connected to the Iridium GO! exec
Selecting the SOS icon on the exec LCD screen will display the SOS trigger screen on the exec. Press and hold the SOS button for at least 3 sec. The exec will begin to play the pending countdown timer and show the countdown on the screen.
During the countdown period the SOS event may be cancelled without alerting the designated Emergency Service Provider. If the call was unsuccessful, the user will get an option to redial (or to cancel).
The user can then use the device microphone and speaker to converse with the emergency contact.
From Physical SOS button
The exec user can also start an SOS event by pressing and holding the physical SOS button for at least one second. The Device will begin to play the pending countdown timer and show the countdown on the screen.
NOTE: When triggering an SOS event via the physical SOS button, the exec can be on or off. If the Iridium GO! exec is off, it will first power up and then continue to start the SOS event. When the countdown time expires, the SOS will enter the active phase and begin dialling the designated Emergency Service Provider.
While the Iridium GO! exec is in the active SOS event and the Iridium GO! exec has an outbound call to the Emergency Service Provider, it will show the current latitude and longitude (so the Device user can relay this to the Emergency Service Provider).
The Device user can only end the current call to the Emergency Service Provider from this screen.
NOTE: The SOS event remains active even after the call to the Emergency Service Provider is concluded. To close an active SOS event, the user must explicitly select the “Cancel SOS” button.
If the user is in the United States or Australia, they can also dial 911 or 000 emergency number, respectively, whether they have a valid SIM card or not.
1. To ensure the SOS call reaches the emergency contact, triggering SOS voice call shall terminate all non-SOS voice calls in progress on line 1 and/or line 2 to allow the SOS call to get through. The SOS call shall only use line 1.
2. The user cannot initiate a new emergency call while an SOS call is in progress.
3. To ensure the user safety, initiating an emergency call such as calling 911 or 000 shall terminate all non-emergency voice calls in progress on line 1 and/or line 2 to allow the emergency call to go through. The emergency call shall use line 1 or line 2.
Cancelling an SOS
SOS event can be cancelled from either the Iridium GO! exec LCD Screen or the physical SOS button.
From exec LCD screen
To cancel the SOS event, the Iridium GO! exec user must explicitly cancel the SOS via the Cancel button on the SOS active screen.
From Physical SOS button
To cancel the SOS event, press and hold the physical SOS button for at least one second. The Iridium GO! exec will display the SOS active screen. The SOS can be cancelled by pressing the Cancel button.
An SOS event can be raised directly from the Iridium GO! exec App.
Make sure the Iridium GO! exec App is connected to the Iridium GO! exec Wi-Fi.
Make sure you have configured an Emergency Service provider (see section SOS settings)
Press and hold the SOS button until the countdown ring expires.
The Iridium GO! exec will then show a pending screen with a timer.
If you wish to abort the SOS event without contacting your designated Emergency Service Provider you can press cancel prior to the pending timer expiring.
Once the pending timer expires, the Iridium GO! exec will display the outgoing call screen indicating:
· The contact details of the Emergency Service Provider you have configured
· Your current location
The Iridium GO! exec App will automatically initiate an outbound call to your designated Emergency Service Provider. The Emergency Service Provider operator will assist you with your emergency. When they ask for your location, please tell them the Latitude and Longitude numbers shown on the screen.
Terminating the call will show the SOS active screen.
NOTE: Terminating the SOS call does not cancel the SOS event.
The SOS active screen allows you to redial your Emergency Service Provider or cancel the SOS event.
You can also access any other feature at this time.
You can navigate back to the SOS active screen at any time by selecting the SOS tab in the bottom tab bar.
NOTE: There are two ways the Iridium GO! exec App signifies an active SOS event
· The Title bar will be displayed in RED (normally it is white text on a black background)
· The SOS tab in the bottom tab bar will have a red dot next to it.
On the application an SOS can be cancelled by navigating to the SOS tab and pressing the Cancel SOS button. This can only be done on the application that started the SOS.
An SOS can also be cancelled from the Terminal by navigating to the SOS tab and pressing Cancel SOS button. This can be done for an SOS started by the terminal or any application.
The Iridium GO! exec has a programmable SOS button, and this feature can be used to alert either a designated personal contact or a commercial safety service provider (IERCC) in the event of an emergency.
To ensure the SOS function works correctly during an emergency situation, it's essential to configure the SOS settings via the Iridium GO! exec application before departure. Failure to do so may render the feature useless when it is needed the most, so it's a crucial step to complete.
The SOS settings menu allows the Iridium GO! exec user to configure the Emergency Service Provider of their choice. The Emergency Service Provider will then be called when an SOS event is triggered either by the Iridium GO! exec App or the Device.
If the Emergency Service Provider is IERCC, the User must provide the authorization code provided by IERCC during the registration process. For the settings to take effect the blue tick icon (Android) or Save (iOS) must be touched.
No authorization code is required when specifying non IERCC Emergency Service Providers. Instead, the user must specify a custom emergency contact number to call. For the settings to take effect the blue tick icon must be touched
You must properly configure the SOS settings via the Iridium GO! exec application. If not configured, the device will warn the user to configure, as SOS cannot be initiated if the setup is not completed, and you will not be able to use the SOS button.
Once configured, an SOS can be initiated either from the Iridium GO! exec by opening the SOS cover and pressing the SOS physical button or from the SOS icon on the User Interface (UI) on the Iridium GO! exec and/or from the Iridium GO! exec application on smart device by pressing the SOS icon when paired to the Iridium GO! exec.
An SOS initiated by pressing the SOS button on the Iridium GO! exec or via the SOS icon on the exec LCD screen will start a two-way hands-free voice call from the exec using the device speaker and microphone (mic). An SOS initiated from the Iridium GO! exec application will also provide two-way voice communication from the application on the smart device with the designated contact.
IERCC Safety Services
To support the SOS feature, Iridium has contracted with IERCC Travel Safety Group to provide an emergency response coordination service for your Iridium GO! exec at no additional charge. These SOS services are offered and provided exclusively by IERCC and not by Iridium, which is a separate, unrelated company.
Configuring SOS settings
You must configure the SOS feature in order for the SOS to make an emergency call to a designated Call Recipient.
Failure to configure the SOS feature will result in no call being sent when the SOS button is pressed. This could prevent or delay an emergency response and result in serious injury or death.
Use the Settings menu in the Iridium GO! exec application to configure SOS while paired to the Iridium GO! exec. Only one SOS emergency contact setting can be stored per Iridium GO! exec, so multiple users will all share the same SOS settings. It is important to plan accordingly. The SOS settings will provide the option to use or not use the IERCC service.
NOTE: The ability to modify SOS Settings is provided to admin users in the event an admin pin is set.
To use IERCC service:
1. You must first register at https://ierccregister.inreachapp.com/ from a web browser on your computer or smart device. NOTE: To register, you will need your Iridium line 1 phone number (Please refer to the device information under the settings menu for the line 1 phone number) and Iridium GO! exec IMEI (shown on the device label on the base of the Iridium GO! exec).
2. After registration, access SOS Settings on the Iridium GO! exec app, select Use IERCC, and enter the 5-digit authorization code provided by IERCC, then Submit. (See section SOS Settings)
3. If successful, your SOS settings will appear, and the SOS action is set to Call for the IERCC service.
4. Once completed, store your SOS settings on the Iridium GO! exec device:
a. For iOS: select Save
b. For Android: navigate Back, then Save
To decline IERCC service and configure designated personal emergency contacts:
1. Select Do Not Use in the SOS Settings on your app to decline IERCC service.
2. Enter the number for your SOS Call Recipient. It is important that the number is entered in the correct international format with the international access code (+ or 00), country code, and phone number for proper routing.
SOS Test with a Personal Contact:
1. Make sure the device is Registered on the Iridium network.
2. Go to Settings: Device Settings: Admin settings menu on your Iridium GO! exec application.
3. Select SOS Settings.
4. Select Personal Emergency Contact, enter contact details and Save.
5. Go outside, and find a clear view of the sky away from trees and buildings.
6. Press the SOS button. Your test call will be directed to your personal contact.
7. Your test call is complete! Important: If your preferred Emergency Contact is the Personal Contact you just called, you are all set!
If your preferred SOS option is IERCC, go to Settings and set up IERCC. To learn how to set up emergency services, read the Important Safety Information booklet in the box. Important: The Iridium phones are pre-programmed to default to IERCC out of the box. We strongly recommend that:
• You do not push the SOS button without registering the Iridium GO! exec device.
• You do not test without following the procedure described above.