The Offshore App is designed for boats heading offshore with a need to download forecast GRIB files on an Iridium GO, Satellite or email connection.
To download GRIB files, weather routing etc using an Android device you need to use the PredictWind Offshore App from the Google Play Store.
- You will need the Offshore App.
- Connect your Android to the Iridium GO WiFi
- Open the Offshore App
- At the top left, you can drop down the menu. At the bottom select ‘Preferences’. Enter your PredictWind user email address and password into the PredictWind account fields (this is the email and password you use for all your PredictWind accounts, not the Iridium Web & Mail username and password). Leave ‘Satellite Email Credentials’ blank unless doing satellite email requests.
- Tap the back arrow to exit to the main menu.
- At the left drop down menu select, GRIB Offshore, then on the map move your Start and Finish Way-points to your desired location, resize the GRIB area box if you wish, a smaller box will make the overall file size smaller.
- Then on the top right tap the download arrow, this will open up the Download Settings page. It is essential for making downloads over a satellite connection to get the options here set correctly so that you have a small overall file size.
- GRIB High Resolution = OFF.
- Enable Offshore GRIBs = ON. Then go into "Offshore GRIB Settings" and check the following:
- Forecast Model = All models (could select just PWG & PWE for smaller total file)
- Interval = 24 hour
- Days = 5 days (less is better for file size).
- Resolution = 100km
- Then select, Only Wind and Pressure (you can add more options later if you wish) Please note that these parameters will remain set like this for future downloads unless you change it.
- Now tap the back arrow at the top of the screen to take you back to the Download Settings page.
- Ocean Data = OFF
- Enable weather routing = ON
- Standard Weather Routing
- Go into Weather Routing Settings and select your preferences and then use the back arrow to go to the Download Settings page again.
- GMDSS = ON
- Satellite imagery = OFF (make sure you turn off both colour and B&W)
- At the bottom of the screen you will see your estimated file size, ideally under 100kB, if it is over 200kB go back and adjust your GRIB area or select fewer parameters, or reduce the days and or models selected. For first time users of the App you will be prompted to add your PredictWind email and password. This is the same username/email address that you use in all PredictWind Apps and the PredictWind website. Once completed tap "continue to download".
- Next is the Downloads Page, here you can select your connection type: "Web" ( for Land based internet connections), "Iridium GO", "RedPort Optimizer", "GlobalStar" and for satellite connections without a direct connection capability you can retrieve weather data via 'Email'.
- It is important at this stage to check that you are connected to your chosen WiFi connection in the main Settings on our device. For Iridium GO usage, please go to the settings > connections> Wifi > Click on Iridium-XXXXX.
- Once you have selected your connection type, continue to 'Download ALL'.
- Once all of the files are downloaded and they have a tick next to them, tap 'close' on the top right. (note the downloads page must be kept open for the entire download).
- We are then taken to the weather routing tables that have detailed data for our weather route in graphs, wind, summary, route, swell and current. This is also where the Export function is for the weather route.
- Next tap on Map, here we can see our weather routes and GRIBs together.
- Tap the Play button to animate the routes and the GRIBs. The boats and GRIBs will move in time. The colour of the route is related to the weather model.
- To change between models tap on forecast model, and select from the bottom menus.
- Tap the menu button top left to show the other forecast formats. Tapping the back arrow on top of the menu will show the full screen.
- Tap on High resolution from the main menu to view the high resolution GRIB files. The larger 8km areas requires the Standard package of PredictWind, and the small 1km areas requires the Professional package.
- Only areas that have been downloaded are available to view. If the ‘show route’ button is selected, the high resolution areas will be automatically displayed as the boat passes through these areas. If you turn off the “show route” button you can manually select the high resolution areas.
- Tap the menu button, select GMDSS forecasts, then click on the link in the middle of the GMDSS area. GMDSS forecasts are safety warnings that are created by Meteorologists from the responsible regional Meteorological office. Press the x button top right to close. (e.g. the link will display 'XIV 0 hours ago' in blue, if it is black with only the roman numeral then you have not downloaded the data).
- To view Satellite images select Satellite Imagery from the menu bar, then click on the link in the middle of the Satellite Image area. You can select between Colour or Black & White images. Press the x button top right to close. (e.g. the link will display 'F 0 hours ago' in blue, if it is black with only the area letter then you have not downloaded the data).
- You are now ready to explore the Offshore App for yourself. Please click here for more information
PLEASE NOTE: On your tablet ensure you have turned off your "Auto Lock" settings so the download is not interrupted. On you Android go to "Settings" > "Display & Brightness" > "Screen timeout" set to 30 minutes.
If auto lock is not turned off, the device may lock after a certain time and this will stop the download process.